Get Excited!

Posted by Jonathan Trentham

If you have ever met my friend Megan, you have undoubtedly heard the phrase: “Get Excited!” And despite the hundreds, if not thousands, of times I have heard her say it, I still need the reminder to simply “get excited”.

A few weeks ago, I was working on the jobsite with David, when he innocently asked if I was excited yet about my trip to Cambodia. Immediately, I felt my heart fall about four feet to the ground, and I realized that I wasn’t excited. I had spent all my strength worrying about money, and arguing with God. I hadn’t allowed myself to get excited, and I didn’t know how to make myself get excited. I simply smiled and told David I was getting there, but my spirit had struck a blow to my flesh. I knew I was supposed to be getting excited, and I didn’t even know where to start.

I have always been a pretty “dull” guy. There isn’t a whole lot that gets me stirred up, or dragged down. I tend to kind of sit right in the middle, not ever experiencing either extreme. I’m not a robot; I do veer from one side to the other on occasion, but it is never to the point of being truly excited, or depressed. This is something that I didn’t know how to fix other than to pray.

Then, while I was listening to a CD in my car the other day, the song “O Come Let Us Adore Him” came on. This version of it starts with Psalm 126:5: “Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.” I felt like God was telling me that if I wanted to feel joy, it meant I had to also feel pain. What I needed to be praying was to feel something…anything. This is a very scary idea for me. I have always considered myself “strong” emotionally. I have control; I don’t get sad, or angry, or hurt. What I soon realized, was I was truly weak emotionally because it was ME in control, not God. Jesus wept, and He is the strongest person I know. He didn’t only shed a tear, he wept. Feeling pain is not a sin, but avoiding it because of fear is.

Having this revelation has not brought me to tears just yet, but it has allowed me to see some walls I have built and allowed to stand for far too long. With the help of my Father, I will be tearing them down as the Lord guides me. It has been many years, yes years, since I have sown in tears. And I don’t expect to turn into a sobbing mess over night. But with God, all things are possible. God is working in me. Get excited!!

Those who sow in tears
Shall reap in joy.
He who continually goes forth weeping,
Bearing seed for sowing,
Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
Bringing his sheaves with him.
Psalm 126:5-6

6 comments:

  1. Justin said...

    Wow, that's really good. I need that same reminder... and I need to really have that be true of myself. To not be so in control of my emotions that I keep myself unmoved. Thanks Jon E. Cake.

  2. Liz Overton said...

    Great post! I can struggle sometimes with not wanting to show emotion--or too much of it. It's a pride thing. I don't like feeling that vulnerable and I don't want to be viewed as "weak." But, as you pointed out, Jesus was often so moved with emotion and compassion that he wept freely! I definitely need to be more willing to be moved emotionally--especially when being "emotional" means being moved to pray for others or witness to them.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I'm praying for you and excited about seeing what God does in and through you!

  3. Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

    That's good Jonathan! Thank you for sharing... My prayer for you during this trip is that God would prick your heart for people.

  4. Tim Atchley said...

    Excellent post Jonathan. Very vulnerable and honest and I am glad you can see the need for excitement where it is called for and how sadness can lead into it.

    May the Lord use you mightily on the trip and birth fresh revelation in your soul.

  5. Matt Bailey said...

    Jon, you know I have been right where you are at times, though maybe for different reasons, and have felt the same sting of my spirit dealing that blow to my flesh. I got some insight from what you said about pain preceding joy. It's time for me to begin embracing whatever God wants me to walk through to gain Him and His joy. I guess you'll see this when you get back.

  6. Jonathan Trentham said...

    Hey all,

    I do have access to the internet here in Cambodia, so I check this every night. Thank you very much for the each of your comments. I am grateful that what the Lord does in my life, is spilling over to those around me. Thanks for your prayers and encouragements. My time here in Kampot has actually been quite joyful. It truely is a GREAT God we serve.

    Drenched in your prayers,
    Jonathan Trentham