Sunrise on a small...quiet...town...

Posted by Jonathan Trentham

My King is like a sunrise on this small quiet town
Palm trees reach up to touch His warm morning air
Flowers span their soft pedals to color the landscape of this,
Small…Quiet…Town

For His pleasure alone does creation sing
This small, quiet, town joins the mighty chorus every morning
Lifting its songs and spreading it's branches
Revealing that only He is worthy to be praised

Yet this town, has remained small and quiet
This small quiet town has seen many changes
But has remained small and quiet
This small quiet town has lasted the ages
But has remained small and quiet

Who are the people of this small quiet town
Who walk the streets, and sweep the sidewalks
Day in, day out, only to repeat again
They too are small and quiet
And His Sun rises again and again,
As if to peer in and ask,

What is your story, oh small quiet town?
Your birds chirp to greet me
And your plants reach up to glean from me
But you do not acknowledge me.

You squint up to the sky only out of frustration
As though my light does not please you.
Your rats and dogs scurry away into the shadows
And await my absence, so they may return in peace
Why do you grumble come morning?
What entices your imagination, more than my beauty and mercies?

I have risen up fresh crop for you
I have warmed your homes and given you sight
Sight that has provided you safe passage
And revealed truth about your greatest fears
But you do not open your eyes.

Instead you stumble around in the darkness
And flee from the smallest bumps in the night.
Am I not larger than anything that has ever clattered around in the shadows?
Could I not dry up, and blow away an entire city should I desire.

Yet I have remained gentle with you.
I have done so only because it pleases me to do so
Know this, oh small, quiet, town
You have turned your face away from me
You have sought out the shadows
You have given your hearts over to wickedness and foolishness

So my Sun has shown hot upon you small quiet town.
I have shown you great mercies,
But my mercies have proven vain.
Should you desire wisdom
Flee the shadows, and seek Me
Fear the Lord who gives, and takes away.
I am tender with my those I call my own
My mercies will be poured out upon you once again
On this small, quiet, town

I too, have a small and quiet side
My voice has been kindled to anger
But my voice longs to be still and small
But I will move in large and mighty ways
Should I see fit.

So turn to me now
That my wrath may be cooled
I long to impart grace and forgiveness to you

Be still, small quiet town
That I may tend to your sores
For they are many
And many are deep.

Long it has been, oh dear city
Since you have allowed me to touch you
To give my healing warmth to your people
Surrender to my healing
That the Lamb who would purchase you
Might receive His glory this very day!

Oh small quiet town
Turn to the King
And receive His mercies

--------

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
Great is His faithfulness. -Lamentations 3:22-23

0 comments: