And I Shall Be Called...

Posted by Jonathan Trentham

Recently I have been hearing a lot about how a name reflects who a person is. There are may examples in the Bible where a name directly reflects the persons personality or attributes. Therefore, I thought it appropriate to find out what my name means. My full name is Jonathan Ray Trentham.

Jonathan is Hebrew and means Gift from God, or God has given

Ray is Germanic and means Advice or Decision protector

Trentham refers to those who reside near the River Trent in Wales. The River Trent is called Trent because it is a "gushing river" also translated "overflowing". Trent also means to travel or to journey.

I dont claim to be some great gift from God or a great place to go for advice, but I will continue to examine my name and watch how God grows me into it. I believe a name can influence you if you allow it to, and I plan to take hold of what I have been given.

6 comments:

  1. Justin said...

    Hmmm, I know what Justin means... as for the rest of my name, I'm not sure. I think I'll check that out!

    Oh, and thanks for the help with the link issue on my blog. Later brother

  2. Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

    That's so true! I know that Hannah means God's Grace... and that's the one area in my life that I know has been a spiritual battle for me. I know it has to do with my heritage in Christ and that's why the Devil fights it so hard. BUT! By the GRACE of God my middle name means Victory!! HECK YES!
    As for Atchley... hmmmm good one to look up huh.

  3. Liz Overton said...

    Interesting topic! I've actually known what my names mean for awhile, my parents took name meanings into consideration when naming each of us and my mom told us early on. (Although I did have to look up my last name.)

    Elizabeth is Hebrew and means "consecrated to God." Gail is English meaning "happy, lively one." It is also considered a shortened version of Abigail, a Hebrew name meaning "my Father is joy." The meaning of Overton is a little less clear. It's English and likely refers to inhabitants of a particular area. Boring.

    Since I'm a Christian, I would consider myself consecrated to God.
    I've never really considered myself lively or necessarily overflowing with joy and happiness. But I have learned a lot over the course of my life, usually through struggles and challenges, about letting the joy of the Lord--my Father's joy--be my strength.

  4. Justin said...

    Heh, I checked out my name. I quite like how it all fits together.

    Justin means just or righteous (who would have guess just...). Paul means small or humble. As for McConnell - I'm still looking into it. But it seems to carry a meaning of "wolves/hounds" and "vigor."

    Quite an interesting combination. I like it a lot.

  5. Sheila Atchley said...

    AH! *Now* I see where the recent "name research" has come from! Jonathan, you started something...and it is something good.

    I think your name HAS to, somewhere, somehow, mean "tall as a tree".

  6. Unknown said...

    I agree with you, Jonathan. Names DO mean something. I encourage you to TAKE HOLD of the heart of God concerning you. You will find, I am quite sure, much treasure in both your name and your purpose in the Kingdom as you continue your search for the Lord.