The Church has become more in love with Her dowry than with Christ

Posted by Jonathan Trentham

The Church has become more in love with her dowry than with Christ.
-Aaron Sachs

Oh my Bride,
I long to see your gaze upon me,
Yet you continuously glance at those around you.
I long to overflow your cup,
Yet you lift it to others to be filled.
I long to carry you up to unimagined heights,
Yet you fear leaving the ground you have lived on for so long.
I long to speak words of comfort and wisdom to you,
Yet you do not turn your ear to me.

Why do you distance yourself from me?
Have I not bled and died just for us to be together?
Do I not tug at your heart day to day and hour to hour?
What must I do to prove my love to you?

Oh my Bride,
I have given you a dowry without measure,
Yet you have fallen more in love with it than with me.
I have given you unshaking devotion,
Yet you hardly ever acknowledge me.
I have given you my name and the title of my Bride,
Yet you turn to commit adultery against me!
I have given you the chance to be a pure and spotless Bride,
Yet you continue to cover yourself in filth.

Is it selfish for a husband to desire the complete love of his wife?
What will it take to turn your eyes away from others?
Should I take away the dowry that I have given you?
Should I plague you until you return?

Please turn your eyes back to me.
My heart breaks for my lost Bride.

0 comments: